Children are very special patients. We do everything we can to make their visits as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. We also aim to help them form good dental habits, as this will prevent problems with their teeth in later life.
We recommend that you bring your child to your dental appointments from birth or as young as possible so that they grow up knowing that dental practices are a positive place to visit where they have nothing to fear. We would hope to have seen most children for their first examination before they are three years old.
After school appointments
Appointment times are reserved for children’s visits after school every day between 3pm and 5pm. and other family members are welcome to attend at the same time. Other times are available for children to be seen if families find it difficult to attend at the usual after school hours.
We provide NHS dental care to children and young people under the age of 19. Dental examinations usually last 10 minutes and treatment appointments are between 20-30 minutes. Recommended recall intervals are tailored to each child’s specific needs.
We also have a membership plan for children, which costs just £5 a month and includes a host of preventive measures, such as fissure sealants, hygiene therapy and brushing advice. It is great value and helps to ensure healthy foundations for life.
Dental health tips
Good dental health begins with you. By following a simple routine, you can keep your mouth clean and healthy by:
- Brushing your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste.
- Having sugary drinks and snacks less often.
- Using a small to medium toothbrush with soft to medium multi-tufted, round-ended nylon bristles.
- Using a pea-sized amount of toothpaste.
- Using small circular movements to clean your teeth.
- Changing your toothbrush regularly.
- Cleaning between your teeth with dental floss or interdental brushes.
- Visiting your dentist at least once a year.